9.03.2008

90210 (v.2)



So I admit, I had to watch the premiere of the new and "improved" 90210 last night on the CW. And honestly, I'm pretty annoyed. I feel like they took an amazing thing – a cult classic TV show – and forced a mediocre version upon the 18-40 year old demographic that supposedly watched last night. I rewatched an original series episode from Season 5 to remind myself why I fell in love with this show in the first place.

In the original series, they took their time with character development, action and drama. I feel like, overall, new shows are too hard pressed to create a big bang with a first episode, or push some kind of “hook,” because they are fearful of being cut after day 1. This new 90210 had way too much going on with everyone. I could barely learn each character’s name (of course, I caught Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez delivering the morning news, and Erin Silver as a sharp-tongued blogger). And don't even get me started on Nat trying to work a cappuccino machine. It makes me crave a mega-burger.

It’s like the network is trying to hook in the older age group by dangling seasoned characters in front of them, while trying to keep the younger group excited with drama, beauty, drugs and the “mystique” of Beverly Hills – really just an overhyped soap, not the fun ensemble that thrived in the original.

I could go on, but this is a great addition to what I have to say...
http://testpattern.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/03/1330314.aspx

0 comments: