7.13.2009

Mucking about at Pourtal.

I have been hearing so many great things about Pourtal Wine Bar that I have been trying to get over there for ages. It may be just down the way on Santa Monica Blvd., but anyone in LA knows how excruciating that drive can be on a weekend! Lucky me, one of my best friends was visiting me this weekend and we spent the afternoon in Santa Monica on Saturday. After walking down to the hot and crowded pier, we were looking for some zen in our afternoon. We found it in Pourtal! We got there a little after 4pm, which is when they open, so we were literally the only people in the place. We filled up a card with $30 and tasted several of the current wines available. My absolute favorite was the Fort Ross 2006 Pinotage...I expected it to be subtle but it was just bursting with flavor! So yummy. I debated buying a bottle but wanted to check elsewhere to see if I could top the price tag of $33. A visit to the Fort Ross website made me realize even they sell it for $32! The carry-away price at Portal was definitely on par...I’m either heading back over there to pick up a couple bottles or ordering them straight from the vineyard.

As my friend and I were getting ready to leave Pourtal, a few British guys wandered in to hassle us...and me being 2 glasses in, I definitely had some fun joking around with them. They taught me my new favorite British term! I used to be obsessed with the word “query” – especially when our solicitor (British form of a lawyer for those of you on this side of the pond) used it. Well my new favorite term is “mucking about” which they described as basically doing as little amount of work as possible while spending the most money possible. Don’t we all wish we had the money to muck about all day long! I love it.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Hi Shannyn, thanks for the lovely blog on Pourtal, and thanks for stopping in. I just wanted to point out that the price we charge for the Ft. Ross also includes tax, so it's really about $30 with tax being almost 10% now.

We hope to see you again at Pourtal!

-Stephen

Stephen said...

Hi Shannyn, thanks for the lovely blog on Pourtal, and thanks for stopping in. I just wanted to point out that the price we charge for the Ft. Ross also includes tax, so it's really about $30 with tax being almost 10% now.

We hope to see you again at Pourtal!

-Stephen

Shannyn said...

Excellent Stephen! Pourtal's an amazing concept, especially since I can never make a decision on a wine menu...too many great choices. Not a problem here! I was surprised to find several I recognized also. I will definitely be back soon, I don't want to miss out on that Pinotage...I've been thinking about it since Saturday.

Thanks for letting me know!