11.09.2009

cream cheese frosting.



I had the pleasure of celebrating a dear friend's birthday (and engagement!) in the Hollywood Hills this Saturday night. Tucked away up on the other side of the freeway where I rarely venture was an adorable guest house that my friends rented out for the weekend, and had a group of us over to celebrate on Saturday. We played Mafia and drank and ate vegan (and non-vegan) goodies, and topped off the evening with homemade red velvet cupcakes - thanks Joe!

Joe whipped up the most incredible cream cheese frosting I have ever tasted. I love cream cheese anything, but most other recipes I've tried and/or made have had way too much sugar and are just too sweet. Not so with this one! I believe it's the mascarpone. I begged the recipe off of him and took it home with me that night to type up with the promise that I would send it back to him. And here it is, below. This recipe is begging to be used on homemade pumpkin cupcakes, which I plan to make next weekend.

Cream Cheese Frosting
source unknown

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) heavy whipping cream

1 - 8oz (227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature

1 - 80z (227 grams) tub of Mascarpone cheese, room temperature

3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup (115 grams) confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted

In your food processor or with a hand mixer, process the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese until smooth. Add the vanilla and confectioners sugar and process until smooth. Transfer this mixture to a large mixing bowl.

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. With a large spatula, gently but quickly fold a little of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it. Then fold in the remaining whipped cream, in two stages. If the frosting is not thick enough to spread, cover and place in the refrigerator for an hour, or until it is firm enough to spread.

(photo via flickr)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Um, were you reading my mind?! I was just looking up frosting recipes for T's 1st birthday! I also want to know how to properly make colored frosting...

Shannyn said...

Make this frosting with some food coloring! It is the absolute best.