4.05.2010

cake and earthquakes.

I'd say Easter weekend was a success (and included both cake and earthquakes, as referenced above). D and I spent all day Saturday working on the new apartment in anticipation of his parents visiting us in 2 weeks. And when I say D and I, really I mean I worked on the place while constantly asking him "babe, how does this look? babe, is this ok here?" while he wrote in our spare room/his office.

Kind of a perfect Saturday.

I also baked some stuff. I am a big fan of baking (and baking blogs - such as here and here and here). But I tried something with my pretty new Kitchenaid mixer that I hadn't tried in ages. I baked yeast-risen bread!


(Quick pic of bread that was about to be eaten)

Thanks to this fantastic recipe, I braved cooking with yeast for the sake of yummy homemade bread for Easter. The things I do out of love for my family.

I mean - I was already planning on making Mark Bittman's pound cake too! With berries and homemade whipped cream. Have you ever made homemade whipped cream? If not, please do so immediately if not sooner. You'll never ever look back.


(Pound cake + strawberries + bananas + homemade whipped cream)

Anyway, back to the bread. I actually used Joy's recipe and fused it with Mark Bittman's bread-making technique from How to Cook Everything (if you don't own this book and plan to ever cook anything, you should probably just scoot out and buy it). I am the worst at getting yeast breads to rise. They just don't rise! Well I heated my oven on super low for 5-10 mins then turned it off, make the dough, put it in an oiled bowl covered in plastic wrap and a dishtowel, and popped the whole thing into the (off) oven. And 1 1/2 hours later - magic! Risen dough! I'm not even going to bother with the obvious Easter joke there.

Anyway, the bread was amazing. I even made homemade butter with some leftover heavy cream from making the whipped cream. And I was at the gym at 5:30am this morning making up for all of the above.

No joke. I'm tired.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Wait, did you say, homemade butter?? I have to know about this.

Shannyn said...

Did you ever take a jar and shake up heavy cream in it as a kid, til it turned to butter?

That's basically what I made, with a bit of sea salt added at the end to make a yummy pair to the bread.

Highly recommend this extra effort, it's so good!!

Mary said...

Whoa. Homemade butter is serious biz-nass. Your bread is a beauty, I want that little slice with strawberries and cream!