11.02.2011

pumpkin muffins.

I know I'm not alone in my obsession with fall everything, and pumpkin is basically my kryptonite. I haven’t been doing much fun baking and cooking lately, but I took a break from that this weekend to make these pumpkin muffins, which were pretty much gone two days later. Total self-control in our apartment, let me tell you (there was a lot of "I plan to run/just ran 13.1 miles, I deserve this!" going around).

These are basically individual servings of the lightest pumpkin bread ever.

Pumpkin Muffins
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (or for gluten free, I used 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp baking powder
15oz can solid-pack pumpkin
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/8 tsp each of: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, ground ginger, allspice (you can also use 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, but using the individual spices makes the flavor more dynamic)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tins or fill with muffin liners.

Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.

Whisk together pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, spice mixture (or pumpkin pie spice), sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Add flour mixture until just combined.

Divide batter among muffin cups (could generously make 12 large muffins, or 14-16 regular muffins).

Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Mine cooked for 25 minutes and were perfect, but could cook slightly under or over that depending on the size. Don’t over-bake or they will dry out.

Cool. Enjoy.

0 comments: