11.20.2012

To Tablet or Not to Tablet?

For the past few weeks, I have been weighing the pros and cons of getting some sort of tablet-like gadget. Originally my justification was that I'd love to have something I could bring traveling and leave my laptop at home. Unfortunately I'm not convinced I'd be able to do that, and would just be adding a third gadget to my (terribly overpacked) luggage stash instead.

To be honest, I don't even use my (lovely) Macbook Pro with any regularity. The last thing I usually want to do after sitting in front of a computer for 8, 10, 16 hours a day is crack open another computer. Is this a pro or a con for a tablet? No idea.

Full disclosure: it took me an insanely long time to make the switch from Blackberry to Iphone, and I am NOT a fan of ereaders (or actually, I am just way more a fan of regular books!). But I am warming up to the idea of being able to read a book or two and/or watch a movie while traveling (D brings a mini DVD player on flights!). And we ARE planning lots of trips next year. Hrm.

Dilemmas. Yes, I'd love a new toy. But I don't want to waste my money on something that will get limited use.

Any dedicated tablet fans out there? Help!

1 comments:

Allison said...

I took my time deciding to get a tablet too. I also like a real book vs. an ereader, and after spending all day in front of a computer, I hate staring at more screens. That being said, if you travel, like ever, it is soooo nice having some sort of tablet and I think worth it just for that. I use my iPad for movies, books, magazines, and it's really convenient not to have to lug around all those items in a carry-on bag. I say, if you have the money to spare, it's a pretty fun thing to have.