1.01.2013

2013.

Being sick on New Year's is a total bummer, but waking up without a hangover is revelatory. Last night, as the clock ticked by and D and I came to terms with the fact that we weren't going to magically be well enough to hop up and join our friends for the night, we decided to take matters into our own hands. We dragged our mattress out to the living room, I re-strung a few Christmas lights and we camped out with Maximus (the cat) watching movies until the ball dropped. We may have passed out at 12:01am, but this year will always remain one of my most memorable with my new little family.

In the days leading up to a new year, I usually mull over the prior year and my intentions for the coming year. I write down my list of 10 things I plan to commit to, and strategize ways I'll make them happen.

This year, I kind of just let it all go. An 11 day hibernation, and it was fantastic! I do have a few things I'd like to focus on this year, but above it all, my #1 is to be present.

When I was a kid, I was always looking towards the next thing. I couldn't just be. A story that my mom gets a kick out of (and my best friend does too, if her working it into her speech at our wedding was any indicator) is the story of taking me to Disneyland as a kid. See, my parents always had to surprise me with trips to Disney. If they told me any sooner than moments before driving into the park, I would get so worked up in anticipation and excitement, I would give myself such a stomachache that we wouldn't be able to go. Once in, though, it was all cool.

I definitely still have some of that in me. Always something on the horizon to be looking to, bigger than the everyday moments.

Well this is real life, and I want to be in it. 2013 is going to be a good one! Day one down, 364 to go.

Cheers!

(Photo via)

1 comments:

Danielle said...

haha that disney story is amazing!!!


yay to 2013!